Distribution center manager
Reporting to the director of operations, the incumbent is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and monitoring all activities relating to the smooth operation of the distribution centre, with the goal of meeting the centre’s quality, service and productivity objectives. Includes reception, inventory management, collection, auditing, packaging, shipping and transportation.
The Communications Advisor must be an ambassador for CDMV’s six beacons of light—our common values: creating value, agility, inner fire, dedication, team player and be of one mind.
Roles and responsibilities
- Planning, organizing, coordinating, supervising and monitoring daytime and night-time activities pertaining to shipping and receiving orders;
- Motivating and effectively managing staff;
- Taking part in recruitment, training, evaluation and monitoring of individual employee performance, continuous productivity improvement and quality of work;
- Establishing efficient communication with employees and maintaining an excellent work environment while complying with the applicable collective agreement and ensuring that employees follow established policies and procedures;
- Following up on complaints about the distribution centre in cooperation with client services, and applying corrective measures;
- Taking steps to correct any anomalies relating to transportation for shipped merchandise and ensuring low transportation costs while maintaining acceptable service;
- Taking steps to minimize health and safety risks for employees and visitors; ensuring that employees use materials and equipment wisely;
- Recommending changes to ways of working and use of human and material resources to optimize quality, service and profits for the organization;
- Identifying needs for equipment and staff to ensure that the department functions properly; helping prepare and working within operational budgets;
- Ensuring that the work environment is spotless;
- Ensuring that best manufacturing practices are followed;
- Ensuring proper maintenance of the distribution centre area and equipment;
- Performing other work needed to ensure the smooth operation of the organization, at the request of the immediate supervisor;
- Maintaining good working relationships;
- Performing other duties as required by the supervisor in order to properly serve the interests of CDMV.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Meticulous and reliable;
- A health and safety focus at work;
- Good command of basic warehousing principles;
- Independent, resourceful and able to grasp and act on a sense of urgency;
- Ability to bring people together and motivate them;
- Proven leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in operations management or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in a similar position;
- Excellent knowledge of French and English, oral and written;
- Experience supervising a team and training employees;
- Experience with a warehouse management system;
- Sound knowledge of and experience with WMS (SGE) and ERP (PGI) systems.